Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Advent Calender

One of the big activities planned for our trip to Utah was the making of an advent calendar. Here we are taking a look at the one my mom made that I grew up with. It was my inspiration to make one. After putting a lot of time and effort in, and getting hardly anything done, I appreciate my mom's efforts even more!

This is as far as we got. Caring for Brian trumped sitting around crafting so this calendar will not be used this year. Each time I go to Utah I hope to work on this a little more and have it ready for next December. As you can see, we have only a few ornaments completed and fewer pocket numbers.

Some of the best things about our calendar: no one will have the same one, it's not "perfect" and shows all of our love and care in making it, I got to make it with my uber creative and talented sister Julie, it will hopefully mean more to my kids than a store bought version, and lastly it's a tribute to my own mothers efforts for her kids.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've added two numbers to the lot. Fours are hard to cut. That little triangle in the middle is a tight squeeze.

Karla said...

Way cute Diana. You'll have to tell me where you got patterns for all your pieces, or did your uber creative and talented sister Julie create them? If she did, I wouldn't be surprised! Anyway, I am totally interested in doing something like that, too, so I'll need instructions.

Do you remember the stockings my mom made for all of us? She used felt, too. It must have been "the thing to do" at that time...like it is now. I LOVE felt. So cute!