Saturday, June 14, 2008

Can We Borrow Some Sunscreen?

After spending way too much time packing up the perfect park bag I plopped Maggie in the stroller and rolled her the couple of blocks to the water jet park. Once there I realized I had forgotten to pack sunscreen. Maggie, lucky girl, inherited my pale skin and would have fried without some. We had to start out fully clothed (that's her in the orange shirt and pink hat).

I started to feel bad and thought I'd give her just a couple of minutes in the sun.

She was having so much fun I decided to ask another more prepared mommy to borrow some sunscreen. Oh, Maggie was just SO thrilled!

I hope she appreciates what I did for her because I knew that by starting a conversation with this woman she'd likely want to continue it. She did. She asked all the standard questions then moved to the clincher--so, do you come here often? This means she's a mom lookin' for a friend. This is not my first experience with moms hitting on me at this park. There are a LOT of lonely moms out there! I feel really lucky to have found Mommy & Me and then Itty Bittys because I not only have a larger community of moms to associate with but I've also developed a handful of really close friendships from these groups. When some mom starts "the conversation" with me at the park I want to hand her a card with the website info on it. Hmmm. Maybe I should.

No comments: