Sunday, April 20, 2008

Things I Want Recorded

Colors and Numbers: Maggie can count. At first she was just copying her dad. Then she was anticipating what came next. Now she the light bulb is going off and she actually counts things. I took her to the park the other day and she noticed two planes in the sky and pointed them out ("airplanes. shwshhhh") and then counted them ("one, two. Two planes"). Uh, wow. I was bursting with pride. She sort of followed the same pattern with colors. Copying, then guessing, then, after serious contemplation, naming most colors. Its CRAZY to see the connection made in her head. We were watching a cartoon dinosaur playing with butterflies and she said, "butterflies" then went on to say, "orange butterfly, pink butterfly".....etc as they came onto the screen. So cute!

I may have to stop listening to my music in the car. Maggie is able to sing along with almost every song that comes on. Eeek. Some of my music isn't exactly toddler appropriate. I'm impressed at how many of the words she's able to sing. But sometimes its seriously sweet to see her singing her heart out along with Cat Stevens.

When Maggie hurts herself and her dad's around she insists he kiss it better...no matter what the "it" is. After recovering from her latest episode of illness she was playing around and fell on her butt. She whimpered and said "kiss it" while walking backwards toward Patrick. He was kind enough to kiss her butt--literally (it was diapered and clothed, but still...) and they both said simultaneously "all better". Awwwwh.

We got some hail the other day so I put Maggie next to our sliding glass door in order to watch it. She immediately asked to go outside and I said no. I did the hug yourself and shake motion and said, "cold, burrrr". She looked at me and, I swear, she rolled her eyes at me and said, "jacket".

I let Maggie use one of my pens and a piece of paper to color (on the couch). She was poking the pen through the paper and writing on the couch instead so I lifted up pen and paper to assess the damage. She gave me a dirty look and said, "hey! stop it!".

She's a connoisseur of candy. I was eating some Hershey's chocolate kisses while she was napping. I heard her stir and when I picked her up from the crib she took one whiff of me and said, "chocolate". I burst out laughing. Then a few days later I discovered a long lost bag of Robin Eggs from Easter. I had the bag hidden behind my back, putting an egg in every time she looked away. She got really close to me and all of a sudden demanded, "egg!". She knew exactly what I was eating!

3 comments:

Emily S. said...

You are going to be so glad you wrote those things down. So cute! I wish we lived closer so we could see you all more often.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love reading about her. Such a bright little button. Thanks for sharing....even the kissing the bum-bum part.

Karla said...

Okay, you NEED to do that on a monthly basis! So fun to read. What a smart little girl you have on your hands...she must take after her mother. :)