Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Things I Want Recorded

Maggie said to me on my birthday: "Mommy, can I have your birthday?" Goes to the top of the stairs and says, "Mommy, when I come down the stairs say Happy Birthday Maggie!"

Maggie: Can we make chocolate?
Me: Do you know how to make it?
Maggie: Yes, you start with frosting, mix in some marshmallow and stir really fast (makes stirring motion with her fist) then you get chocolate.

Me: Mags, are you excited for Santa to come?
Maggie: Yes. I want him to have a tea party with me. Mommy, can you ask him if he can have a tea party with me?


Maggie watching How the Grinch Stole Christmas: Oh, Grinchy! Mommy, the Grinchy is not being nice....but he's going to get nice real soon (she's never seen this before so I don't know how she knows he WILL get nice).


Aunt Melissa sent us some hand-me-downs. Everything was a big hit--especially the Ariel dress and shoes. Maggie: Daddy, can you call Aunt Melissa and say Thank you for buying Maggie the Ariel dress??


We've been reading a new book from Santa a lot lately (since it's about going to school and Maggie started preschool this month). One of the pages talks about Lucy loving assembly because of the hymns. Each time I read that I stop to explain that hymns are songs. The most recent reading had me asking her what hymns mean rather than telling her. The response to "now what are hymns again????". Boys.

Me to Maggie: You're so cute I'm gonna cry.
Maggie: Ahh, Daddy will take care of you.


Me to Maggie: Did you say a prayer before lunch today? (at preschool).
Maggie: Yes.
Me: Do you start with "Heavenly Father" like we do at home?
Maggie: No. We do a God one.


Maggie switched dance studios. The new one is much more ballet oriented and much more serious--strict dress code among other things. One requirement is that if your hair is long enough it needs to be in a classical ballarina bun. My first attempt left both Maggie and I in hysterics. But it held. When we arrived I noticed a flyer in the waiting room on how to do said bun. A flyer! Good to know I'm not the only mommy who has NO clue how to put their kid's hair in a "proper" bun.

Caroline is a very good sleeper. At night. All day she fights it like crazy! When she's laying down and tired she shakes her head violently from side to side to fight off the sleep that threatens to overtake her.

Caroline is also very loud! She's not mad but just likes to kind of yell. Loudly. Usually while we're in a store. The only thing that stops her is to sing "You are my sunshine". No other song will do. We tried putting food in her mouth but apparently she can yell right through Cheerios.

Maggies first week in primary at church should have been a big deal. For me it was. For her...not so much. I walked her to the front row and she confidently sat down next to her nursery friend Annie who was bawling her eyes out. Maggie was unruffled. I told her to be nice to Annie and make her feel better. She looked at Annie skeptically and then said, "I'm not gonna cry".
Second week of primary we were the first to arrive. Maggie walked up to the front row, sat down, CROSSED HER LEGS, and looked around the room. I asked if she wanted me to stay until her teacher arrived. She said no. Just like that. I sat in the back anyway until she did.

Blowing spit bubbles with her mouth is Caroline's favorite thing to do. She does it a lot. If you want ot see her doing it for yourself check out the video I posted on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrjiQ5gPpKY

I told Maggie that I loved her the mostest in the whole wide world. To top me she said, "But Daddy loves me most in the whole kingdom".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for making my day! I LOVE to read these things. Kids are so refreshing.

Unknown said...

I love all these little recorded conversations. I need to do this! I love hearing what Maggie has to say. I think I'm gonna copy you since my "Monthly Letters" ended short of her 2nd birthday. How sad!

Unknown said...

I guess "Michael" was logged in. It's me, Karla. :)