Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Announcement

I don't know exactly why it took me this long to announce it (lazy, tired, sick, traveling, and frankly everyone we see or talk to regularly already knows) but...we're having a baby! Here's the 12 week picture of our skeleton baby. Can you see the little hands under the chin??

Our due date is May 13. Maggie will be just under 3 years old when the new one arrives. We're big planners so the moment we know the gender, I'll post it. Hopefully before Christmas.

Yes, this is one of the many reasons my blogging has been so sporadic.

Let's catch up on things I've NOT been sharing here:
I've spent the last 12 weeks feeling simultaneously nauseated and starving (the weirdest part of morning sickness!). All the same foods that got me through the first trimester with Maggie have proven to be the same favorites this time around: mini powdered donuts, Jamba Juice, mandarin oranges, carrots, and milk.

I had no idea someone could feel this exhausted and still actually be alive. I do not remember this level of fatigue with Maggie. But back then I had nothing better to do than eat, sleep, think constantly about the miracle of life and marvel, and read loads of books on pregnancy and babies. This time I have a demanding toddler to care for.

I spend the better part of the day on the couch. My house is falling apart around me and I simply don't care. Seriously. It's dirty. Poor Patrick.

Oh, and the teenage-like acne is just awesome.

We've told Maggie a few things like she's going to be a big sister, there's a baby in mommy's belly, etc. She just stares. When asked if she wants a baby she says no--we've only gotten a positive response to this question a handful of times. The other day I asked where mommy's baby is and she pointed at my belly (progress) but then turned around and pointed at Daddy's belly and said, "Daddy, you have a baby in your belly" (ok, not so much progress). I think actually growing in the belly area will help her grasp it better.

We all caught a terrible cold a couple of weeks ago and I had to get through it without my beloved Nyquil. Trust me, it was painful! I forgot how much I relied on medication for simple colds--to feel the full pain of it really...sucked.

The first trimester is coming to a close and I'm looking forward to the energy and happy feeling of the second trimester. Here's hoping.

7 comments:

Emily S. said...

Hooray!!! Congratulations! I am so happy for you and Patrick but I am sorry that you have had a rough first several weeks. The fatigue got worse with each pregnancy for me. But amazingly, it always went away with 2nd trim. Hopefully you will feel better soon. Can't wait to hear updates.

Tiffany said...

We are so thrilled for you and your family! Congrats! I know the feeling of being so sick and tired and caring for a toddler. Hang in there, you get through it and it's so worth it in the end! Matigan had similar comments about wanting a baby brother or sister. Always said "no" and she was convinced she also had a baby in her belly. But, now with a 4 month old sister, she's proud and loves her dearly.
Congrats!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow. You can really see that tiny human! What fun. I'm sure this helps - to look at the ultra-sound and know that feeling tired and sick is for a very important purpose.

Karla said...

I'm so happy and excited for you! Ultrasound pictures are the coolest. Perfect family planning - hopefully we can copy you (like last time!). :)

Vicki Sigg said...

Yay! You're "out of the closet", so to speak. Look at that little life in there! Amazing!!! Congrats again!!

ZDub said...

Congratulations! How exciting!

Emily said...

Congrats! That is super exciting. Hope you feel better soon! Maggie is so cute btw!