Monday, August 18, 2008

Cupcake Drama

Inspired by Karla to actually cook with my daughter (I usually make every effort to keep her entertained and OUT of the kitchen) I decided to make some cupcakes with her.
I packed her up in the stroller and headed to the store for a cake mix. It was hot and I was in jeans for some crazy reason. I sweat my way over there, sweat my way back, and opened the fridge to find we were out of butter. Ugh. I made Patrick watch her while I jumped in the car to go back and get some--the whole point of taking Maggie in the stroller was to avoid using my car/gas/energy to get there!

I get back and start the cookin'. I cut open the bag and let Maggie dump the mix into the bowl. I gave her a stick of butter and let her unwrap it and drop that in as well. I was even feeling brave enough to let her crack the eggs. She did very well on the first two and busted the third to bits. I spent 10 minutes fixing that situation and then turn on the Kitcheniad. It must have stuck or something because it didn't just turn on to the "1" setting but jumped up to "3" sending butter, cake mix, and bits of egg flying out in every direction. After turning it off both Maggie and I stood there, stunned, dripping in ingredients. At the exact same time I burst out laughing and Maggie burst out crying. The more she freaked out the more I laughed. I felt bad but could not stop laughing! We did eventually make the cupcakes and they were enjoyed by all.

3 comments:

Karla said...

Wow, what an adventure! I'm glad I inspired you - even if it is just to make cupcakes with Maggie. :) In the end, I hope Maggie will have a good memory of the experience and will want to do it again! (I hope the same for you, too!).

Anonymous said...

"little miss cupcake." Maybe she'll laugh next time. It is funny!

Emily S. said...

I think it's awesome that you even attempted it! What a great mom :-)