Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Kitchen Update

It all started with a sign. A sign advertising really cheap granite counter tops. I've never really loved my awesome Formica counters. And then I became obsessed...

Of course the granite I liked was NOT the cheap ones advertised and I didn't exactly plan for my small back splash needing to be replaced. Oops.
The back splash--oh the back splash! Many hours were spent collecting samples, returning them, ordering, cancelling orders, asking (bugging to DEATH) anyone who would listen and offer advice. I ended up with one of my first choices in tile and went for a full back splash instead of partial.
But then the cabinets were all wrong. Since it's impossible to change out cabinets after granite has been laid I had to settle for painting the ones I had. Cream. And new hardware. The process was pretty cool but rendered my kitchen useless for 3 full days which is tough with small kids. They tented the whole thing and sprayed it all.

My painters hanging the freshly painted doors.
My poor husband put on his game face and did his best not to lose patience with the ongoing needs (er...um...wants). The kitchen is done now. Mostly. The problem is the more I tweak or improve the more I notice other projects that need to be done to finish the kitchen off. But for now we'll say it's done. Or it will never be.

6 comments:

rachel demartin said...

love it. love it. that tile...it was the right one :) good work!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! The photos really do it justice. Nice work!

dons_mind said...

wow very very nice......good job...

Emily S. said...

Looks fantastic! I am totally in kitchen remodeling mode right now so I understand completely. I love your backsplash! I am doing the same thing but in white. Out of a kitchen for 3 days and it did you in? How in the world am I going to survive without a kitchen for 2 months!!! You must be so excited to have such a nice kitchen!

Shuldberg Family said...

Oh so fun!

Melissa said...

Um, wow. Love and love and love. It turned out GREAT! Nicely chosen.