Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Grampy's Garden

Grampy's garden is not something to miss. This "garden" is actually a plot of land in the middle of Provo with what looked like an abandoned house on it (or, at least I think it's an abandoned house). The garden consists of vegetable plants scattered willy-nilly, a smattering of fruit trees, one or two actual rows of plants, and some random cages full of....rabbits. Hmmm.


Grampy holding a handful of freshly picked red onions. We had them in our salad and they were so devine!



Cousin Olivia helping Maggie feed a rabbit a twig or some sort of food (I hope).



Grampy takes a few rabbits out of the cages for better viewing:






What's in the bucket? Two rabbits:





We brought the two bunnies from the bucket back to Charlotte's house for dinner. She was so happy. Not. Apparently rabbits don't like hardwood floors. They sat exactly where we set them for several hours. It was great for my girls to play with them:

It's worth going to Utah just to see Grampy's garden. It's at odd times like this I'm really grateful my girls have him. He's one interesting character--and definitely worth experiencing!
**side note: This is my second season of gardening here in Colorado. I now fully and completely understand just what kind of green thumb my father has! His soil was barely acceptable for gardening. My soil is an expensive(!) store bought mix. His garden was chock full of weeds. My garden has zero. His garden, clearly, has no rhyme or reason. No plan--just a smattering of seeds that soon sprout into the tastiest food I've ever had (year after year!). My garden is carefully planned out and tended to with the utmost care. So, the question is.....why does my dad's garden flourish and mine is hit or miss at best?? Where are MY gardening genes?

2 comments:

Emily S. said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I have heard so much about this garden and the bunnies. Great to finally see it!

Anonymous said...

I still need to check out this summer's garden. Looks like fun! M and C were clearly having a good time. The rabbits are still roaming, free and happy, in Char's backyard.