Monday, June 21, 2010

Maggie's First Dance Recital

The dress rehearsal. All parents were given their tickets to the big show. I did not check my tickets for accuracy--just assumed the tickets were correct.


We arrive 15 min prior to the 3pm show. I take a few snapshots of Maggie outside the backstage entrance. She was beyond excited!

Immediately after taking that picture we tried to check our dear Maggie McCarty in only to be told, "oh...she's the little girl that was missing in our 1:30pm show...". I was furious/embarrassed/scared/etc. All I could think was DON'T CRY IN FRONT OF YOUR DAUGHTER! (cause that's exactly what I was about to do). After a considerable amount of confusion and waiting, Maggie's teacher appeared to take a look at the 3pm tickets she accidentally gave us. It was either no dancing for Maggie or...she dances...alone. Both Patrick and I looked down at our teeeny tiiiiny little 3 year old and asked what she'd like to do. She just looked at us and without hesitations said, "Dance!". And dance she did.


In front of roughly 200 people in a large high school auditorium our little girl danced SOLO. After dancing both her ballet and tap routines she was returned to us, all smiles. We gave her the pink roses we bought for her. She exclaimed, "OH! I LOOOOVE them! Are they for my wedding?"

This is an image taken from my video of the performance so you sort of get how small she was on that big stage.

Driving home Patrick asked her if she wanted to continue with dance. She stuck her thumb in the air pointing behind her and said, "I wanna go back THERE and dance".

She totally earned her pink ice cream at Baskin Robbins afterward!

The video we took of the actual show is very poor quality and shaky but if you wanna see the two dances you can do that HERE and HERE.

Otherwise, here's one dance from the dress rehearsal that's much better quality.





Ok, proud mama that I am, I couldn't resist posting both dance routines from the rehersal. I can't help it--she is just the cutest dancer ever!

6 comments:

Karla said...

What a doll! She couldn't be cuter. I want to reach in that video and squeeze her! I am SO impressed that she performed solo. That is amazing! What a brave little girl. How could you not be a super proud mom. Way to go Maggie!!

jewels said...

So cute! She did she a good job. I am amazed she did it by herself, I think that is great. You have darling kids.

Melissa said...

Oh my heavens, I can't believe she danced solo! From tragedy to triumph :) She's a doll. Isabel loves the stage too and can't wait to perform. Such fun.

Anonymous said...

So much fun to see the cute videos. She is quite the dancer!

Emily S. said...

Wow! She was very brave! Darling little dancer. And she is so grown up!

ZDub said...

What a brave girl! Sorry about the mix up, that is something that would happen to me.